A Letter from the Vicar 18 March 2020
Dear friends, we are pausing all our services and activities for the foreseeable future.
We are following the advice from the Archbishops to keep everyone in our community as safe as possible, but we are not stopping being church.
As Archbishops Justin and John write in their guidance:
“Being a part of the Church of England is going to look very different in the days ahead. Our life is going to be less characterised by attendance at church on Sunday, and more characterised by the prayer and service we offer each day. We may not be able to pray with people in the ways that we are used to, but we can certainly pray for people. And we can certainly offer practical care and support.”
Our vision at St Matt’s is ‘to know Christ and to make Him known’ and that will continue throughout this season.
This is such an opportunity for each of us to go deeper with God in our own lives, and to make the hope of the christian faith known to others through our prayers and generosity. It also reminds us that worship isn’t something that only happens on Sundays, but something that should permeate every part of our lives throughout the week.
What happens now?
We have produced a simple prayer resource which will be available from the church office for you to use each day if you wish.
For those who go online we would love for you to listen to our Sunday podcasts, you can find the link here https://soundcloud.com/user-923497054 or under the ‘resources’ section on our website. We will also be posting links to online services by other churches.
For those on social media we will be posting short reflections on instagram and Facebook during the week so do keep checking our media feeds.
If you are feeling isolated at this time we would love to pray for you. Please get in touch with your Connect Group leader who would be more than happy to pray. If you are not part of a Connect Group then please contact the church office on 0121 531 7778, leave your name and number and we will get in contact with you.
Revd Kate and myself will be praying for you every day during our prayers and we will be celebrating communion on your behalf on Sundays and during the week.
So to conclude, could we ask you to do three things at this time.
Could you keep praying:
- Pray that Coronavirus (Covid-19) will miraculously disappear.
- Pray that the predicted death toll will not be a reality.
- Pray for those who are sick or who are anxious.
- Pray for those in our world who don’t have access to free healthcare.
- Pray for our Health Service and our government.
- Pray for businesses, charities and the economic impact of the virus.
- Pray for the lonely and isolated in our community.
- Pray that God will show you how at this time you can see people’s lives in Tipton and the wider community transformed by the love of Jesus.
- If you are willing to be part of the prayer team then please get in contact.
Could I ask you to keep in contact:
- Please still actively participate in the life of St Matt’s as far as is possible through the various resources we are providing.
- We would actively encourage all of our Groups to stay in contact with each other whether virtually or over the phone.
- Keep in contact with those you are aware of who are self-isolating or who live on their own
- If you are requested to self-isolate, don’t isolate yourself. Please let us know if you are in one of the ‘at risk’ groups so we can support you. Please ring/message family and friends regularly.
Could I ask you to keep Remembering God’s faithfulness and goodness and that the Lord reigns through this season.
“And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” Romans 8:28
These are uncertain times, however, we have the greatest certainty that God is able to turn this and any situation for our good and for His glory.
If you have any questions please do get in touch. We are united not by gathering on Sunday but by our love for Jesus, and this has not changed at all.
Keep Praying, Keep Contact, Keep Remembering.
Thank you for all you do,
Lots of love,